Friday, July 13, 2007

Bryce Canyon

6-10-07


After leaving Kaibab, I went back north to Utah's Bryce Canyon. The scenes here were breathtaking.



I finally got to a park early enough to set up my own campsite, and even take a hike before sunset. I hiked the 3 mile Navajo Loop to the Queens Garden Trail. It was quite the change from other hikes I'd taken on the road trip, because you hike down first, and the canyon is at approximately 9,000 feet MSL, leaving you short of breath. The hike down brought some crazy formations into view.



For those who don't know, Bryce Canyon was underwater at one point, but is now completely dry.


One of the coolest things is that you can really see the layers, and when you're hiking down, you go through the layers. There was this one white layer that really caught my eye. I never did find out what caused it.


I was fortunate enough to watch the sunset, again not excellent for pictures, and have a picnic dinner on the rim of the canyon.



Notice the Polygamy Porter
It was going to be a long haul to make it to Arches in time to find a campsite, so I woke up in the morning just in time to see the sunrise over the eastward facing canyon (again not good for pictures, unfortunately). I quickly packed up my campsite, and was off to the most beautiful Park of them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment