Saturday, July 14, 2007

Arches to Boulder

6-11-07

As everyone who's ever been to Arches knows, the campsite fills up at 8 AM in the summer. Since I arrived early afternoon, I had to travel outside the park to find a campsite. I was lucky and got a spot in an awesome campground, Negro Bill's. My campsite backed up to the Colorado River and was very secluded. It was the best campsite I had the whole time.


I then headed into Arches for a long hike. I had my heart set on the Devils Garden Primitive Loop. It was a bit ambitious in the late afternoon but it was overcast, keeping temperatures down and tourists away. Despite a full campground, I only encountered a few other groups on my hike. The hike is a 7.2 mile loop that visits eight arches, most off the beaten path, including Private Arch,

and Double O Arch


My absolute favorite part about the hike was all the bouldering.


At the end of the hike (actually halfway because it was a loop) there was a formation called the Dark Angel shown below. It was quite the structure as it was in the middle of nowhere by itself, and the stone was actually black.


At the end of the hike, a rewarding view of Landscape Arch, which is one of the world's longest stone spans, at 306 feet long and only 11 feet thick in the middle.



After an amazing afternoon, I saw the sunset in the park, and again, it was overcast, and not great for pictures.


Waking up the next morning, I had to hurry to get to Boulder to a friend's house before my flight took off to Vermont for a wedding. It was a rough ride over the Rockies, raining and hailing, but I made it in time to unload and go to bed.



No comments:

Post a Comment