Saturday, December 6, 2008

Latrine Project

Hello all!

Welcome to a new era of my work in Kadiaradugu. I have just recently completed a proposal for 22 new latrines and bathing areas in my village. This will be enough to supply one per family unit in the village. I've submitted my project through the Peace Corps Partnership Program, which funds projects by donations from friends, family and others in America. In order for this to happen, I'll need YOUR help!! 100% of your donations are tax deductible and go DIRECTLY to the project (no hidden admin fees). The village is very motivated, and has already zoned the village in anticipation of a new electricity project (so the latrines don't get ruined when the lines come through), and has dug all of the holes for the latrines. They are awaiting funding to make the reinforced concrete slabs and build the brick walls. Please help make this a reality for the village!

Some of you will receive in the mail a complete copy of the proposal I have written with instructions on how to donate. If you didn't get one and you would like one, please send me your address. Others have received a letter from my very generous support network back home (Donna Dunn and Mel Danaher). To clear up the confusion as to where to donate, I'd like to explain the objectives of the rest of my service. Our goals for the village during my remaining 10 months in country are as follows: (1) To complete the latrine project (2) To finish the well that was started last year, but had to be stopped due to the rains, and (3) set up the village for a means of finding a pump. The first initiative is underway, a proposal has been submitted, and we're awaiting donations to complete the project (see blog sidebar). The well project cannot be started again until later on in the dry season (April or May) so that we can dig it deep enough to ensure it won't dry up. Because the initial proposal for this project was well repair, and not complete construction, additional funds will be needed. A budget has been completed, and will be submitted when the funds for the latrine project have been collected. Finally, the pump situation is a little more complicated. There is government funding available for a pump, but because of some difficulty in getting the village recognized by the government, it is unclear if they will see that money or not. Either way, because of how spread out the village is, they will need two pumps. Ideally, we'd write a proposal for one and get the other from the government, but we are still unclear if this is possible. I will keep you updated as the pump information is available.

After my remaining 10 months are completed, inshallah (God willing), there will be another water and sanitation volunteer that will replace me to continue work in the village. This is where two donation locations comes in. You can donate directly to the Peace Corps Website to the latrine project, but when that is funded completely, it will be taken offline, and any donations above the needed amount will be donated to another person's project. I'd like to keep fundraising going, so that it will be quicker to collect funds for the well project, which is why the church account is open. As funds come into the church, they will go to the latrine project, until it's funded, and anything above that amount will be saved for future projects in the village, including the pump and well. When I get done in Mali, I plan to come back to America and continue to help fundraising for this village as long as there is a volunteer here to implement the work. Please help me and my community members in making Kadiaradugu a more sanitary and safe place.

If you have any questions, feel free to email me or leave a comment here and I'll get back to you.

Thank you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment